Hello – it’s so nice of you to stop by. I know you could be anywhere right now, doing almost anything. You could, after all, be engaged in any number of other, infinitely more amusing pursuits, from tasting wine and running with bulls, to decorating a cake or jumping out a plane for charity. But happily you are here and for that, you have my gratitude.
So, who exactly are ya hanging out with? Here are the bullets:
- Middle-aged (which means perimenopause makes me opinionated and I no longer care about offending people)
- Mom of 5 (ages 25, 15, 13, 5, and 4, four of whom are boys) (which means I’m crazy and exhausted, and, frankly, a hangry ticking time-bomb)
- Married to an immigrant who considers himself a citizen of the world (he feels about the planet the way the crazy Irishman in Braveheart felt about Ireland – it’s his)
- Dutiful daughter (I’ve reached that age when I am still wiping kids’ butts and learning to wipe my parents’ – gah!)
- Founder of an alternative to traditional high-school (it’s like taking a midnight swim in the ocean – I can’t see a bloody thing, I’m totally freaking out, but for some reason, it feels like the right thing to do right at this moment, sharks be damned)
- Sometimes writer, Reiki practitioner, church-goer, and Wayseeker (if it will filleth up my cup, I will drink it)
- Leftist Christian (WWJD – and that ain’t as easy as it sounds)
- Lipstick addict (seriously)
- Chronic book buyer and sometimes reader (honestly, where does the time go??)
- and ever so slightly overwhelmed by it all (and this is why God created wine).
I love my life. I’ve lived in England but currently call the eastern US my home (somewhere in the cranky, beautiful south), endured my share of hiccups and hardships (I’ve been on my knees so much sometimes I wonder what it’s like to stand on my feet), still have more blessings than I can count, and often wonder if 1) this is all there is, and, if so, 2) why haven’t I made more of it?
The truth is, I have no idea what I’m doing. My family can be a bit of a train wreck, starting a business is the most terrifying thing I’ve ever done, and I’m often running so fast, I forget to buckle up, the wheels come off, and it all comes to a screeching to a halt.
This blog is where I confess my sins, pray for guidance, touch up my lipstick, put my best face forward, adjust my attitude, breathe deeply, and hang on for dear life.
If this sounds familiar, then stick around. We can commiserate and celebrate together. Because no one should have to go through this alone 😉